I may or may not be attending Fanime next year...and not just attending but actually selling art! Like an artist! I've got some people telling me I really should go, so I guess I should see for myself!
This is probably way too early to be thinking about this sort of stuff, but this is probably my first convention ever so I have absolutely no clue how things work. (I used to think cosplay was required to get into a con) It's obviously still up in the air, since it's so early. I have some possible print ideas but I've yet to start on them; hopefully by making a public journal about it I'll be pressured to finish them, haha!
But overall I'm still at a complete loss for what to do, so I figured I could run some questions by you convention veterans and whatnot (both artists and regular goers I guess). Some of these questions are probably really stupid but bear with me. I have no idea what's going on.
- Do people actually buy those huge prints, or should I stick to 8'' by 11''? Conversely, do people actually buy 8'' by 11'' or should I focus on larger sizes? On one hand I feel like huge prints will be more expensive and only really popular artists will be able to sell those, but on the other hand 8'' by 11'' prints are so small. Do people actually cover their wall in tiny art?
- The only large-size paper I have is the mediumweight type: it's a little flimsier than I would like, definitely flimsier than typical printer paper. Can I still make prints of these? Does anyone have experience drawing on flimsy paper, actually? (The prints would definitely be on regular stiffer paper, I'm just wondering if it's possible to draw originals on thinner paper and still have them look nice)
- How many prints should I make? I know I shouldn't overprint but I don't know how much counts as "overprinting". I don't think I'm popular enough to make, like, 50 prints. I was thinking 5 each of 8'' by 11'' prints, and then maybe 3 of the larger prints. Is that too much or too little?
- What are the best days to sell at a con, or are they all good? I don't think I'm going to sell every single day since I want to experience a convention as a naive little visitor too :3
- I've seen people sell merchandise like bookmarks, buttons, stickers, keychains, ACEO cards -- do people actually buy those? I'm the very frugal type so I personally wouldn't buy them, but not everybody is a penny pincher like me so I don't know. Or maybe bookmarks are better than buttons, or something of the sort? I guess the question I should ask is, what sort of stuff do you usually buy at a con?
May add more questions as I think of them. I'm probably overthinking this but WHATEVER